Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Internship Photo Essay

Eli Barber

At the beginning of internship I was very nervous and didn’t know what kind of work I would do at Caltrans. I didn’t even know if I could do the work that I would be assigned. However I did know I would take a street biking class, which made me even more worried. As the day went on and I met more people, I walked by different cubicles with people piling their work high and all over. I got even more nervous thinking how am I going to do work like that. I’ve never had a job like this before; all I’ve had for experience is school. I went to lunch one day with a few people and they all seemed very into their work, talking about it and all not even considering it work. I was getting into it as well too thinking that this is interesting and that maybe the work wont be so bad since

As I got my work I made sure to lay it out neat and in order and then I would read over it. It took a while getting a feel of all the acronyms that are used and the different roads Caltrans was having me work with. But I learned bit-by-bit as I got to work and I kept all my things organized as I went on. I was learning how to use the programs that they use there, read the maps with coordinates to and find what and where I am looking for, and how to live and work an office job. So far so good I thought, as the first few days ended and it seemed all right not too much work that I couldn’t handle and the people were friendly and helped me out when I needed it.

I had brought my own little notebook to take notes to help me with the process as well. It gave me hints on where to go and where to look. It helped a lot and made sure I got things done fast and accurately as well, it was a great organizer. Another thing was the computer, I didn’t have an account of my own but I still was able to use it here and there. I of course kept all files in order with helpful names on the computer too about all things even my notes I typed up just to make it look better. I also kept different parts of my desk space for specific things so I wouldn’t misplace too many things. For example Caltrans maps on the right and on the left notes and maps of a smaller and more specific location. After a few more days I realized I could do this work and its quite fun getting along with people. Hearing little conversations about random things over the top of their cubicles as they talked back and forth with no sight of each other.

Once finished with the work in the cubical I got to put my work to use out in the field. It was very kind of them to let me go look at this stuff in person after starring at it on paper for so long. I got my own uniform that I had to where when out on the field, which was neat. I also used my notebook here, taking notes on what I needed to look at. Some of the stuff I needed to look at was trash or other vandalism, another thing was making sure people were not abandoning vehicles. It was mostly just making sure the sites where in good condition and met the standards (almost all did). Sometimes a sign fell because of strong wind or we couldn’t find a bus stop sign that we were supposed to look at, so we would just write a note and in the end call up and report or ask where the sign was.

I got to go out in one of those Caltrans cars that you see every once in a while on the side of the road. Driving around on the road was also was fun since it seemed to me I got to be working on the road, instead of just driving by and seeing them work. We went all around down to the border, way up to Encinitas, then over to Escondido. I looked at different sites met even more people and took some good notes. All this helped me and Caltrans and I realized I was getting along with every one and doing the work no problem. In just a couple weeks I became good friends with my coworkers and also learned how to work in an office. I had it organized well done and when I was done with my internship I realized I had no problems doing any of the work the entire time I was their.

No comments:

Post a Comment